01.06.2017, 14:15, Robert-Mayer-Straße 10, Room 401
Talk by Prof. Dr. Kai-Uwe Kühnberger: Cognitive AI
I will give an overview of some activities in our research group to exemplify the idea of cognitively inspired AI. Several terms are currently used for this or similar research endeavors, e.g. human-like AI, human-level AI, Artificial General Intelligence, Cognitive Computing, or Cognitive Services. They do not mean the same, but they are related to each other. In my talk, I will use examples from computational creativity applied to the creation of harmonizations in the music domain and to concept invention in mathematics. Furthermore, I will sketch some ideas how certain Watson/Bluemix services can be used for a flu prediction system, for smart farming applications, and for an embodied e-tutor in classroom situations.
- 1996 MA University of Tübingen with the Master Thesis „Truth Predicates in Formal Languages and Fixed Points in Algebraic Structures“
- 1996 – 1997 PhDfellowship of the state Baden-Württemberg
- 1997-1999 Graduate Studies at Indiana University, Bloomingtonfunded by a fellowship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- 2001 PhD in General Linguistics / Computational Linguistics University of Tübingen; title of the dissertation: Formal Frameworks for Circular Phenomena (PhD Award of theUniversity of Tübingen 2001).
- 1999-2000 Research Associate at the University of Tübingen, Computational Linguistics
- 2001-2003 Lecturer at the University of Osnabrück, Artificial Intelligence
- 2003-2009 Assistant Professor for Artificial Intelligence at the University of Osnabrück
- Since 2009 University Professor for Artificial Intelligence at the University of Osnabrück
- 2016: Support of the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies (ZiF) for the international workshop “From Computational Creativity to Creativity Science”, Kühnberger’s role: PI.
- 2015-2017: Grant by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for a research cooperation between the Universities of Osnabrück and Münster, Ain Shams University (Cairo) and the German University of Cairo, Programme “Transformation: Research Collaboration 15”. Kühnberger’s role: PI.
- 2014-2015: Grant by the Ministry of Economics and Energy (BMWi) for founding a company in the computer games industry (Topic: Smart objects for computer game environments). Kühnberger’s role: Scientific PI.
- 2013-2016: FP7-ICT-2013-10: COINVENT: Concept Invention Theory. Kühnberger’s roles: PI and Deputy Project Coordinator.
- 2008-2014: Grant for the Graduate School “Cognitive Science” at UOS, funded by the Ministry for Art and Science of Lower-Saxony. Kühnberger’s role:PI.
- 2009-2012: Grant for the Research Training Group: “Adaptivity in Hybrid Cognitive Systems” internally funded by the University of Osnabrück. Kühnberger’s role: PI.
- 2006-2009: Grant by the DFG entitled “The Modeling of Predictive Analogies with Heuristic Driven Theory Projection“. Kühnberger’s role: PI.
- 2005-2009: Grant by the DFG entitled “Adaptive Ontologies on Extreme Markup Languages”. Kühnberger’s role: PI.